Tuesday, July 8, 2008

My first beer...

I cracked open the first of the first beer that I brewed this past weekend, I've actually drank three of them at this point. They are 24 oz. bottles so it is quite a bit to drink once the bottle is opened. The overall impression of how it looks is very cloudy. It does however have a similar color to any other brown ale so that is good. I really enjoy the smell.

The first one kind of had a soapy aftertaste. I think that will go away as I get better at brewing, it is likely that some chlorinated water got into the beer after it was pitched. That is what I am attributing it to anyways.

The second one was probably my favorite, it tasted just right. It had just the right amount of hoppiness and you could definately taste the caramel and chocolate undertones.

The third one, which I drank last night, was tasty, but it tasted a little more bitter. One thing that I am noticing is that beer taste different depending on different conditions. My mood plays a major role in how much I enjoy a home brew. Kevin H from RedRock said I should keg the beers so they all taste the same.

I sent one beer to work with Hollie so the brewers at RedRock could try it. We'll see what they have to say. My brother did try it, he seemed to like it just fine. In fact, he went back for seconds without being prompted.

I have an amber ale in my secondary fermentor right now. I think it is ready to bottle, but I have ordered some kegs so I am not going to bottle the next batches, I am going to keg them. I even bought a refrigerator last week to put the kegs in, it cleaned up really nice. Eventually I am going to turn the refrigerator into a kegerator.

that is all for now

No comments: